A date has been set. After a year of construction, Woodman's Food Market, 1600 E. Main St. in Waukesha, is scheduled to open July 1.
The 34-acre property is at the former Spancrete site on the city's northeast side.
Spancrete, which made pre-stressed concrete for the construction industry, closed in late 2010 and permanently shut down in April 2011.
The 240,000 square-foot Woodman's facility will be joined by a gas station as well as seven additional lots for 1-2 acre developments, adding jobs and tax base, Community Development Director Steve Crandell said.
"The Woodman’s development is a excellent example of the reuse, redevelopment of a vacant industrial site at a major gateway in our city," Crandell said.
More than 200 jobs will result from the opening, Crandell said. The store is currently collecting applications for employment.
When the Waukesha store opens this summer, it will be the 12th in the state and 15th overall - there are three in Illinois. It will also be the company's fourth store opening in less than five years.
It opened a store in Oak Creek in 2008 and according to the Woodman's Food website, that opening was the best opening Woodman's ever had and pushed the company to more than $1 billion in annual sales.
Two years later, a Woodman's opened in Menomonee Falls and last year one opened in Sun Prairie.
Woodman's, known for being a 100-percent employee-owned operation, dates back to when the family-run business started more than 90 years ago in Janesville.
- Assembly District 83 candidates agree on taxes, differ on opiate issue
- GOP vice presidential candidate Mike Pence to hold rally at Waukesha County Expo Center
- Waukesha man accused of spitting on, trying to bite police officers
- Waukesha panel OKs La Casa de Esperanza's charter school expansion
- Waukesha planning staff mulling another downtown apartment project
- Waukesha Community Briefs: Night Out info, food drive and more
- Now You Know: Where were Waukesha's movie theaters?
- New Latin American restaurant Arepanitas opens near downtown Waukesha
- Waukesha newspaper website is changing
- Waukesha police report: July 28, 2016 issue