Several Waukesha basketball players and coaches will be honored in October when the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association's annual awards banquet takes place at the Marriott West Motel in Middleton. The banquet is set for Oct. 8.
Roy Birk, arguably the best basketball player in the history of Waukesha High School, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night under the player's category. Birk still holds the scoring record at the WIAA state tournament.
Neal Nelson, the men's basketball coach at UW-Waukesha, will be honored by the association for winning 500 games at UWW. Nelson has coached at the school for the last 28 years.
Greg Vock, former girls basketball coach at Kettle Moraine, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night. Bo Ryan, who coaches the Wisconsin Badgers men's team, will also enter the Hall of Fame. Both Vock and Ryan will be inducted into the coach's category.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys tennis: North jumps out to 5-0 start to season
- Boys golf: Arrival of Immekus greatly boosted CMH golf
- Spring sports: Waukesha athletes honored
- Girls basketball: Waukesha North senior Jessica Kelliher enjoyed basketball season for the ages
- Underdog Waukesha North basketball team knocks off Pewaukee, earns sectional berth
- Girls basketball: Third time will be the charm when Arrowhead and Waukesha West meet again
- Kelliher reaches 2,000-point mark to close career
- Girls basketball: Turnovers, second-quarter struggle hurt Mukwonago as Waukesha West advances
- Boys swimming: Swimmers finish year at state meet
- Girls basketball: Dani Rhodes looks to lead Waukesha West to new heights