Several Waukesha basketball players and coaches will be honored in October when the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association's annual awards banquet takes place at the Marriott West Motel in Middleton. The banquet is set for Oct. 8.
Roy Birk, arguably the best basketball player in the history of Waukesha High School, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night under the player's category. Birk still holds the scoring record at the WIAA state tournament.
Neal Nelson, the men's basketball coach at UW-Waukesha, will be honored by the association for winning 500 games at UWW. Nelson has coached at the school for the last 28 years.
Greg Vock, former girls basketball coach at Kettle Moraine, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night. Bo Ryan, who coaches the Wisconsin Badgers men's team, will also enter the Hall of Fame. Both Vock and Ryan will be inducted into the coach's category.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha West boys tennis team wins sectional, earns second straight state berth
- Postseason begins for Waukesha tennis, track standouts
- Rugby event featuring CMH comes to Wisconsin
- Coaching maneuvers impact CMH, Carroll
- South grad Jorgensen on top of the world
- Delzer remembers his Final Four experience
- Expect much the same from Catholic Memorial girls soccer team
- Girls basketball: Waukesha West girls win first regional title
- Girls basketball: Germantown runs by Waukesha South
- Boys hockey: Wings hockey falls one win shy of state