Several Waukesha basketball players and coaches will be honored in October when the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association's annual awards banquet takes place at the Marriott West Motel in Middleton. The banquet is set for Oct. 8.
Roy Birk, arguably the best basketball player in the history of Waukesha High School, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night under the player's category. Birk still holds the scoring record at the WIAA state tournament.
Neal Nelson, the men's basketball coach at UW-Waukesha, will be honored by the association for winning 500 games at UWW. Nelson has coached at the school for the last 28 years.
Greg Vock, former girls basketball coach at Kettle Moraine, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night. Bo Ryan, who coaches the Wisconsin Badgers men's team, will also enter the Hall of Fame. Both Vock and Ryan will be inducted into the coach's category.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hockey: Former Waukesha goalie Kupsky drafted by San Jose Sharks
- Baseball: Brotherly battle favors Waukesha West
- From the pressbox: New sport finds footing at Moor Downs in Waukesha
- Girls soccer: Catholic Memorial soccer once again the best in the state
- Boys golf: Crusaders settle for third this time around
- Girls soccer: Rolli finds balance to become star for CMH soccer
- WIAA postseason: Names to know for state track, tennis
- West Allis Hale boys track team earns two golds in relays at Greater Metro Conference Outdoor
- Track and field: Track and field sectionals await local athletes
- Track and field: Triple threat Pitchford aiming for state gold