Several Waukesha basketball players and coaches will be honored in October when the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association's annual awards banquet takes place at the Marriott West Motel in Middleton. The banquet is set for Oct. 8.
Roy Birk, arguably the best basketball player in the history of Waukesha High School, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night under the player's category. Birk still holds the scoring record at the WIAA state tournament.
Neal Nelson, the men's basketball coach at UW-Waukesha, will be honored by the association for winning 500 games at UWW. Nelson has coached at the school for the last 28 years.
Greg Vock, former girls basketball coach at Kettle Moraine, will be inducted into the Hall of Fame that night. Bo Ryan, who coaches the Wisconsin Badgers men's team, will also enter the Hall of Fame. Both Vock and Ryan will be inducted into the coach's category.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Catholic Memorial's win over Waukesha West ensures crazy four-team tie for Classic 8 title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 16
- Girls tennis: Lindblom, Solberg lead Waukesha netters to state
- Football: Mukwonago football team lands huge victory over Catholic Memorial
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Waukesha sports: Memorial, Waukesha golfers just miss
- Football: Memorial ends Muskego's unbeaten run
- Football: Muskego handed first loss of season in football by Catholic Memorial
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7