For the second time in three years, Emily Joers of Waukesha West High School has won the WIAA Division 1 girls state golf championship.
Playing in the 2011 state tournament at University Ridge in Verona last week, Joers captured the prestigious individual state crown by shooting a two-day, 36-hole score of 146. Joers, a junior, fired rounds of 1-over-par 73 both days.
Joers won the state title as a freshman in 2009 and last year took second. She won this year's title by three shots over Classic 8 Conference rival Leighann Cabush of Kettle Moraine and Becky Klongland of Stoughton. Like Joers, Cabush is also a junior.
Joers was competing as an individual after her cooperative Waukesha team did not earn a state-meet berth.
"It's always a nice feeling knowing that you played well and did your best," Joers said. "There were a lot of good players at this year's state meet, so that made me a little nervous. But I knew I just had to play my game and see what happened."
The three-time Classic 8 Conference player of the year was a mark of consistency both days. She made five birdies in her 36 holes. At one point with seven holes to go, her lead diminished to one shot.
However, from holes 3-9 (she started on the back nine), she finished tourney play by going 1-under-par, clinching the state title.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale boys track team earns two golds in relays at Greater Metro Conference Outdoor
- Track and field: Track and field sectionals await local athletes
- Track and field: Triple threat Pitchford aiming for state gold
- Waukesha sports: League meets looming in track and field, tennis
- Boys tennis: North jumps out to 5-0 start to season
- Boys golf: Arrival of Immekus greatly boosted CMH golf
- Spring sports: Waukesha athletes honored
- Girls basketball: Waukesha North senior Jessica Kelliher enjoyed basketball season for the ages
- Underdog Waukesha North basketball team knocks off Pewaukee, earns sectional berth
- Girls basketball: Third time will be the charm when Arrowhead and Waukesha West meet again