Potratz repeats as 500 free champion
South senior closes career on top in D1 state meet
Noah Potratz returned to reclaim his crown.
The senior on the Waukesha South/Catholic Memorial swimming and diving team defended his title in the 500-yard freestyle, touching the wall first at the WIAA Division 1 state meet in Madison.
His time of 4:38.73 was less than a second ahead of Muskego's Joe Szczupakiewicz (4:39.36), who entered the field with the top seed. Potratz won the event last year in 4:37.59. He took sixth as a sophomore.
It was part of a busy day for Potratz, who helped his squad take seventh place at the year-end showcase. He took seventh in the 200-yard freestyle and teamed with Alex Swain, Alec Carlson and Seth Schmidt to take sixth in the 400 freestyle relay (3:16.01).
Carlson added a fifth place in the backstroke (53.16 seconds) and 12th in the 100 free. Swain placed sixth in the 50-yard freestyle (21.68 seconds) and 10th in the butterfly.
The South/Memorial medley relay unit took eighth with the efforts of Kyle Gerum, Swain, Carlson and Austin Manchon.
J.J. Melville led the Waukesha West/Mukwonago crew, taking fourth place in the breaststroke (59.14 seconds) and seventh place in the individual medley.
David Wright took eighth in the 200 free and ninth in the 100 free for West/Mukwonago. The unit of Wright, Melville, David Bosch and Nick Woodward took 10th in the 200 free relay.
Tanner Folvag took seventh in the diving, scoring 362.55 points for Waukesha West/Mukwonago, and Chris Miszewski finished in the scoring by taking 16th.
Waukesha North/Kettle Moraine advanced entrants in three events but did not place. Simon Hensen took 21st in the breaststroke, and he joined Will Lewis, Greg Geanon and Keenan Acken to take 21st in the medley relay.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Waukesha North rallies behind Tromblay for thrilling win
- Football: Waukesha West dominates New Berlin West
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Aug. 29
- Football: Waukesha West responds to early scare
- Football: Hit the lights: football awaits Friday for Waukesha teams
- Waukesha South football team looking for opponent after Week 1 foe Nicolet cancels season
- Boys volleyball: Turner making most of volleyball offseason
- New sport of pickleball on the rise in area
- Baseball: Memorial keeps pressure on to reach first sectional since 2007
- Baseball: Memorial finishes second in Classic 8 baseball