The Catholic Memorial girls rugby team will compete in the High School National Championships at Stanford University in California from May 11-13, one of eight programs invited to the showcase.
It's the first time CMH will make the pilgrimage, joining schools from California, Washington, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania and perennial title contender Divine Savior Holy Angels of Milwaukee.
"It's an honor and a challenge to compete for a championship at this level," said CMH coach, John Waliszewski in a school-issued release. "There are 35 student-athletes involved in our team, and we couldn't do this without each and every one of them. We are blessed with a special mix of belief in teamwork and strong leadership."
Top players on the team include senior back captain Hannah McCaffery, tight-five captain Katie Dries, third-row captain Taylor Wolf and senior Katie Mueller, who recently finished her senior season as a captain on the CMH basketball team.
The Crusaders will also compete for the Midwest Championship in Elkhart, Ind. From April 27-28. The school won the Midwest Second Division Championship last year.
The team will also compete in an Olympic-style rugby event at the Collegiate Sevens Championships in Philadelphia in early June.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- West Allis Hale boys track team earns two golds in relays at Greater Metro Conference Outdoor
- Track and field: Track and field sectionals await local athletes
- Track and field: Triple threat Pitchford aiming for state gold
- Waukesha sports: League meets looming in track and field, tennis
- Boys tennis: North jumps out to 5-0 start to season
- Boys golf: Arrival of Immekus greatly boosted CMH golf
- Spring sports: Waukesha athletes honored
- Girls basketball: Waukesha North senior Jessica Kelliher enjoyed basketball season for the ages
- Underdog Waukesha North basketball team knocks off Pewaukee, earns sectional berth
- Girls basketball: Third time will be the charm when Arrowhead and Waukesha West meet again