The Catholic Memorial girls rugby team will compete in the High School National Championships at Stanford University in California from May 11-13, one of eight programs invited to the showcase.
It's the first time CMH will make the pilgrimage, joining schools from California, Washington, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania and perennial title contender Divine Savior Holy Angels of Milwaukee.
"It's an honor and a challenge to compete for a championship at this level," said CMH coach, John Waliszewski in a school-issued release. "There are 35 student-athletes involved in our team, and we couldn't do this without each and every one of them. We are blessed with a special mix of belief in teamwork and strong leadership."
Top players on the team include senior back captain Hannah McCaffery, tight-five captain Katie Dries, third-row captain Taylor Wolf and senior Katie Mueller, who recently finished her senior season as a captain on the CMH basketball team.
The Crusaders will also compete for the Midwest Championship in Elkhart, Ind. From April 27-28. The school won the Midwest Second Division Championship last year.
The team will also compete in an Olympic-style rugby event at the Collegiate Sevens Championships in Philadelphia in early June.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Early deficit, long Homestead drive ends Waukesha West's title hopes
- Football: Mistakes haunt Catholic Memorial in heartbreaking title-game loss
- Football: Catholic Memorial cruises into state final with all-around effort
- Football: Waukesha West football rampages to state with 'unfinished business' in mind
- Girls volleyball: Catholic Memorial girls volleyball team maintains its grip with state title
- Football: Waukesha West unstoppable in slamming Waterford
- Girls volleyball: Catholic Memorial girls volleyball team earns chance to face fellow juggernaut in final
- Football: Momentum keeps building for Catholic Memorial
- Football: Waukesha West blanks Wilmot in Level 2 playoff clash
- Football: Catholic Memorial flexes its muscles against Cudahy