The Catholic Memorial girls rugby team will compete in the High School National Championships at Stanford University in California from May 11-13, one of eight programs invited to the showcase.
It's the first time CMH will make the pilgrimage, joining schools from California, Washington, Ohio, Maryland, Pennsylvania and perennial title contender Divine Savior Holy Angels of Milwaukee.
"It's an honor and a challenge to compete for a championship at this level," said CMH coach, John Waliszewski in a school-issued release. "There are 35 student-athletes involved in our team, and we couldn't do this without each and every one of them. We are blessed with a special mix of belief in teamwork and strong leadership."
Top players on the team include senior back captain Hannah McCaffery, tight-five captain Katie Dries, third-row captain Taylor Wolf and senior Katie Mueller, who recently finished her senior season as a captain on the CMH basketball team.
The Crusaders will also compete for the Midwest Championship in Elkhart, Ind. From April 27-28. The school won the Midwest Second Division Championship last year.
The team will also compete in an Olympic-style rugby event at the Collegiate Sevens Championships in Philadelphia in early June.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wrestling: Yatchak grabs podium spot for Waukesha South
- Boys basketball: Eisenhower dials long distance, downs CMH
- Boys basketball: CMH advances past New Berlin West
- Wrestling: South sends three onward to state wrestling meet
- WIAA postseason: Waukesha hockey team has high hopes in postseason
- Waukesha athletes at college
- Whitmore competes in Sochi
- Girls basketball: Kelliher connection has been face of Waukesha North hoops
- Sports Shorts: Feb. 6
- Waukesha sports: Bestor, Sohr, Arnold headed to Wall of Fame