Waukesha will have its share of qualifiers at the WIAA state track and field meet, running June 1-2 in La Crosse. Athletes needed a top-three finish in Division 1 at last week's sectional or a top-four finish in Division 2 to advance.
Among the qualifiers: Catholic Memorial's 4x200-meter girls relay, which won last year's D2 state championship and returns three members of that relay (Madeline Davis, Emily Kern, Kaitlyn Hastings). Natalie Gottschalk of South won three sectional championships, taking the high jump, triple jump and long jump at the Waukesha North sectional.
Brad Woodford (3,200) and Natalie Gottschalk (long jump), both of Waukesha South, hold the No. 2 seed in their respective events in D1.
Sam Tiahnybik, who won gold with the CMH 4x400-meter relay last year, holds the second seed in the open 400 in D2.
In tennis, Matt and Mike Mirsberger of Catholic Memorial are seeded third in the Division 2 doubles field and have a first-round bye. All four Waukesha schools advanced at least one entry into the state tourney at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, beginning Thursday.
Ironically, Waukesha West was the only team with just one advancing entry, but the Wolverines won the sectional with 35 points, picking up flight titles at No. 3 singles (Chris Nguyen) and No. 4 singles (Adam Fowler).
West will meet Eau Claire Memorial in the state tournament beginning Friday, June 8, also at Nielsen Tennis Stadium. It marks the second state qualification for a West team in school history and first since 1997.
Track and field
Waukesha representatives at this weekend's state meet:
South 4x8: Justin Washington, Alex Sayles, DQ Smith, Isaiah Pitchford
West 4x2: Caiti McCormick, Hannah Rohde, Meghann Ameen, Leah Lloyd
CMH 4x2 and 4x1: Kayla Rymer, Madeline Davis, Kaitlyn Hastings, Andrea Sullivan
*Denotes sectional champion
Schedule for Waukesha tennis players (times approximate) at the individual state meet in Madison, beginning Thursday:
Sjoerd Vaandrager (15-7), Waukesha North vs. Nick Bradish (10-4), New Richmond, 2 p.m. Thursday
Isaac Jordan (17-13), Waukesha South vs. Grant Gagliardi (22-9), Kenosha Tremper, 4:30 p.m. Thursday
Matthieu Duvant (15-1), Waukesha North vs. Christian Phelps (19-4), Eau Claire Memorial, 4 p.m. Thursday
Tim Heyrman (20-6), Catholic Memorial vs. Justin Kaiser (13-8), Xavier, 6:30 p.m. Thursday
Dylan Teutschmann/Jimmy Groh (16-2), Waukesha South vs. Matt Kavanagh/Graham Martens (15-5), Whitefish Bay, 3 p.m. Thursday
Will Schultz/Spencer Ortega (17-9), Waukesha West vs. Austin Budiono/Greg Raster (14-3), Marquette, 3:30 p.m. Thursday
Derek Elder/Justin Seflow (13-11), Waukesha South vs. Morgan Ross/Travis Waibel (6-4), Sheboygan North, 6 p.m. Thursday
Matt Mirsberger/Mike Mirsberger (17-1), Catholic Memorial, first round bye (first match 1:30 p.m. Friday)
- Longtime Waukesha South athletics director Dan Domach ready to relax
- Brookfield Central athletic director Todd Sobrilsky to take same position at Waukesha South
- Boys basketball: Waukesha North repeats its regional magic
- Bautz earns Memorial's first WIAA state wrestling title
- Girls basketball: Waukesha West succumbs to Mukwonago in second half
- Waukesha sports: South's Barreiro wins league wrestling title
- Boys basketball: Waukesha North's Marquis Carter returns from injury, puts Northstars in title contention
- Football: AJ Raebel replacing Dave Rusch as Waukesha South's head football coach
- Year in Review: Waukesha Replay: A look back at the top 2015 sports stories in the area
- Track and field: Waukesha athletes run to runner-up spots