Former Catholic Memorial volleyball standout Kelli Browning capped a tremendous season for Creighton University, helping her team to the second round of the NCAA Tournament over the weekend.
No. 21 Creighton defeated local squad Marquette in three sets before falling to host Minnesota in four sets
The 6-4 sophomore joined teammate Megan Bober on the AVCA All-Central Region First team, the first time Creighton has ever placed two players on the All-Region squad in the same season.
Browning was named MVC Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team All Conference choice after averaging 2.82 kills and 1.65 blocks per set. Her 189 assist blocks established an MVC single-season record, and her 204 total blocks and .370 hitting percentage also set Creighton single-season marks. She tied a league mark with 15 block assists in a match Sept. 28 and will enter 2013 as the school's all-time career leader in hitting percentage (. 340) and blocks per set (1.35).
The Blue Jays finished 29-4, their best season ever, wrapping with their first MVC regular-season and tournament titles.
Browning won three straight state championships with the Crusaders.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha West's Elijah Fort named co-Player of the Year in Classic 8
- Girls swimming: Meitz, Blackshirts have golden touch
- Boys volleyball: Germantown rallies to down CMH at state tourney
- Social media story: Prep football playoffs: Waukesha West vs. Kimberly
- Football: West gives mighty Kimberly a push, but falls
- Girls swimming: Waukesha South/Mukwonago girls swimming and diving team going for third straight Division 1 state title
- Football: Waukesha West wears down Waterford in Level 3 playoff game
- WIAA sports: Catholic Memorial, Waukesha West play on in football playoffs
- WIAA playoffs: Catholic Memorial whips New Berlin West
- Catholic Memorial is healthy and ready to roll (2)