Former Catholic Memorial volleyball standout Kelli Browning capped a tremendous season for Creighton University, helping her team to the second round of the NCAA Tournament over the weekend.
No. 21 Creighton defeated local squad Marquette in three sets before falling to host Minnesota in four sets
The 6-4 sophomore joined teammate Megan Bober on the AVCA All-Central Region First team, the first time Creighton has ever placed two players on the All-Region squad in the same season.
Browning was named MVC Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team All Conference choice after averaging 2.82 kills and 1.65 blocks per set. Her 189 assist blocks established an MVC single-season record, and her 204 total blocks and .370 hitting percentage also set Creighton single-season marks. She tied a league mark with 15 block assists in a match Sept. 28 and will enter 2013 as the school's all-time career leader in hitting percentage (. 340) and blocks per set (1.35).
The Blue Jays finished 29-4, their best season ever, wrapping with their first MVC regular-season and tournament titles.
Browning won three straight state championships with the Crusaders.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Football: Catholic Memorial's win over Waukesha West ensures crazy four-team tie for Classic 8 title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Girls tennis: Lindblom, Solberg lead Waukesha netters to state
- Football: Mukwonago football team lands huge victory over Catholic Memorial
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Waukesha sports: Memorial, Waukesha golfers just miss
- Football: Memorial ends Muskego's unbeaten run
- Football: Muskego handed first loss of season in football by Catholic Memorial
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7