The WIAA summer baseball postseason begins in earnest July 15, with another rapid timeline leading to the one-day state tournament July 25 at Kapco Park in Mequon.
Winners Tuesday advance to regional finals July 18, followed by sectional semifinal and finals held Monday, July 21. Waukesha West will host the sectional in its corner of the bracket, which includes its Waukesha-area brethren and several Classic 8 Conference foes.
West drew the No. 11 seed and will travel to Frame Park to battle sixth-seeded Wauekesha South, though West topped South as recently as July 7 in a 15-10 shootout. Catholic Memorial, which came into the week with a realistic shot of at least sharing the Classic 8 Conference crown, earned the No. 4 seed and will host Wauwatosa East, seeded No. 13. A win there would put CMH against either No. 5 seed Mukwonago or No. 12 Brookfield East.
The West/South winner will meet either No. 3 seed Pewaukee or No. 14 seed Waukesha North. North has struggled mightily this season but gave Arrowhead a scare on July 7 in a 6-5 loss.
Arrowhead and Memorial headed into games July 8 with identical 13-6 league records, with Mukwonago and Muskego lingering in striking distance at 11-7. CMH was slated to meet Mukwonago on July 8 in a crucial league battle, then close the season by hosting Waukesha West on July 10.
Both Memorial and Arrowhead are slated to leave the conference next season and participate in spring baseball as members of the Wisconsin Little Ten.
Tuesday, July 15
(1) Marquette, bye
(9) Sussex Hamilton at (8) Milwaukee Pius (at The Rock)
(12) Brookfield East at (5) Mukwonago
(13) Wauwatosa East at (4) Catholic Memorial (at Blazer Complex)
(14) Waukesha North at (3) Pewaukee (at WCTC)
(11) Waukesha West at (6) Waukesha South (at Frame Park)
(10) Wauwatosa West at (7) Kettle Moraine (at Wales Community Park)
(2) Brookfield Central, bye
**Regional final July 18, sectional July 21, state tournament July 25
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Kelliher reaches 2,000-point mark to close career
- Girls basketball: Turnovers, second-quarter struggle hurt Mukwonago as Waukesha West advances
- Boys swimming: Swimmers finish year at state meet
- Girls basketball: Dani Rhodes looks to lead Waukesha West to new heights
- Wrestling: Two wrestlers apiece from South, CMH headed to state
- Waukesha roundup: Swimmers grab titles at league meet
- Boys hockey: Stemberger's stunning goal gives Lasers huge overtime win over Waukesha
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead, Waukesha West primed for major Classic 8 clash
- Boys swimming: Waukesha South/Catholic Memorial swimmers take third in relays meet
- Basketball: Waukesha West girls basketball team, North's Jessica Kelliher making noise this season