Waukesha-area schools enjoyed several accolades following the fall sports season.
• Waukesha West quarterback Ryan Young earned Offensive Player of the Year honors in the Classic 8 Conference on the heels of his team's undefeated regular season.
• West also merited Coach of the Year honors for Steve Rux and Assistant Coach of the Year honors for John Burton, as well as nine first-team All-Conference selections.
• Catholic Memorial punter Austin Pucylowski was named second-team All-State by the Associated Press. West offensive tackle Chris Busbey and interior lineman Breyon Cosey were both named honorable mention by the Wisconsin Football Coaches Association.
• Catholic Memorial, state champions in Division 2 girls volleyball, placed four on the conference's first team after an unbeaten run through the Classic 8. Two of those players - Patti Abshire and Kate Acker - were named first-team All-State by the Wisconsin Volleyball Coaches Association. Kelli Browning made the second team, while Diane McLeod and Alyssa Kujawa were named honorable mention.
• Waukesha West middle Ryan Solberg was named the Player of the Year in boys volleyball, helping his team share the conference title, and picked up first team All-State honors from the coaches association. Catholic Memorial libero Dan Casper and Waukesha West libero Dan Simon were named to the All-State second team.
• Two soccer players made the first team for Catholic Memorial, a squad that lost in overtime of the Division 2 state-title game. One of those players, Eric Schoendorf, was named honorable-mention All-State by the coaches association. Aaron Horvat, who was named to the Classic 8 second team, was also an honorable-mention All-State pick.
• Waukesha West goalie Josh Rohde was also named honorable mention All-State.
• Freshman Emily Joers of Waukesha West emerged as state champion for the Waukesha co-op golf team and was also bestowed the honor of league Player of the Year in the league. Officials believe she is the first freshman to win the state title.
• Waukesha South junior Katy Allen repeated Player of the Year honors in tennis.
Waukesha-area athletes named to the first team on respective all-conference teams:
Matt Losiniecki, center, Waukesha West; Matt Baldwin, guard, Catholic Memorial; Alex Krason, guard, Waukesha West; Jacob Krause, tackle, Catholic Memorial; Chris Busbey, tackle, Waukesha West; Nick Tehan, receiver, Waukesha West; Pete Karczewski, running back, Catholic Memorial; Charles Congdon, running back, Waukesha West; Ryan Young, quarterback, Waukesha West; Derek Peake, kicker, Catholic Memorial
Charlie Tell, interior lineman, Catholic Memorial; Breyon Cosey, interior lineman, Waukesha West; Losiniecki, defensive end, Waukesha West; Steve Dejewski, linebacker, Catholic Memorial; Dave Anderson, linebacker, Waukesha West; Derek Peake, defensive back, Catholic Memorial; Austin Pucylowski, punter, Catholic Memorial
Boys cross country
John Luterbach, Catholic Memorial; Ryan Worden, Waukesha West; Brad Woodford, Waukesha South; Joe Martschinke, Waukesha West; Caleb Lauefer, Waukesha West
Girls cross country
Jenna McMiller, Waukesha North; Morgan Sickels, Catholic Memorial; Lauren Sigfred, Waukesha West; Maria Novak, Catholic Memorial; Mallory Schmidt, Waukesha West
Emily Joers, Waukesha; Isabella Lambert, Catholic Memorial
Alden Bennet, midfielder, Catholic Memorial; Eric Schoendorf, defense, Catholic Memorial; Dan Cerroni, defense, Waukesha West; Josh Rohde, goalkeeper, Waukesha West
Katy Allen, Waukesha South; Karlie LaVeau and Erica Van Riper, Waukesha South
Kate Acker, Catholic Memorial; Kelli Browning, Catholic Memorial; Diane McLeod, Catholic Memorial; Elizabeth Woodford, Waukesha South; Patti Abshire, Catholic Memorial
Ryan Solberg, Waukesha West; Chad Bonis, Catholic Memorial; Trevor Novotny, Catholic Memorial; Danny Jonas, Waukesha West; Dan Casper, Catholic Memorial
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Boys swimming: Waukesha South/Catholic Memorial swimmers take third in relays meet
- Basketball: Waukesha West girls basketball team, North's Jessica Kelliher making noise this season
- 2014 Top Sports Stories: A championship year for Waukesha area teams, athletes
- Girls basketball: No. 1 plays the part against Arrowhead girls
- Basketball: Catholic Memorial girls on a roll
- I played at state: Erin Monfre
- Football: Waukesha West's Schobert preparing for big showdown with Minnesota
- Football: Late turnovers lead Menasha past Waukesha West in Division 2 state championship
- Waukesha West takes on Menasha in Division 2 state final
- Fast start propels Catholic Memorial past Menomonee Falls in girls basketball opener