Former Catholic Memorial volleyball standout Kelli Browning capped a tremendous season for Creighton University, helping her team to the second round of the NCAA Tournament over the weekend.
No. 21 Creighton defeated local squad Marquette in three sets before falling to host Minnesota in four sets
The 6-4 sophomore joined teammate Megan Bober on the AVCA All-Central Region First team, the first time Creighton has ever placed two players on the All-Region squad in the same season.
Browning was named MVC Defensive Player of the Year and a first-team All Conference choice after averaging 2.82 kills and 1.65 blocks per set. Her 189 assist blocks established an MVC single-season record, and her 204 total blocks and .370 hitting percentage also set Creighton single-season marks. She tied a league mark with 15 block assists in a match Sept. 28 and will enter 2013 as the school's all-time career leader in hitting percentage (. 340) and blocks per set (1.35).
The Blue Jays finished 29-4, their best season ever, wrapping with their first MVC regular-season and tournament titles.
Browning won three straight state championships with the Crusaders.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- I played at state: Erin Monfre
- Football: Waukesha West's Schobert preparing for big showdown with Minnesota
- Football: Late turnovers lead Menasha past Waukesha West in Division 2 state championship
- Waukesha West takes on Menasha in Division 2 state final
- Fast start propels Catholic Memorial past Menomonee Falls in girls basketball opener
- Boys volleyball: Catholic Memorial gives way in state quarter
- Football: Waukesha West football headed to state
- Girls volleyball: Catholic Memorial girls volleyball team back atop the mountain
- Football: Catholic Memorial blanked by Wisco
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 3