Carroll University announced Stein Rear has been hired as the school's new baseball coach Monday by Director of Athletics Joe Baker.
"Coach Rear has a great baseball background and is familiar with both NCAA Division III and baseball in Wisconsin," Baker said. "He has a proven track record of improving programs quickly, and I am excited about what he is going to with our student-athletes."
Rear comes to the program from Northland College, following a three-year stint as head coach at the NCAA Division III school in Ashland. His squads increased their win total each year, including a 15-14 mark in 2013 that stood out as the program's best season since 2006.
Rear also coached five seasons at his alma mater, the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, part of a staff that went 169-66 during his stay and reached the College World Series in 2008. He has also coached at New Glarus High School, his prep alma mater, and earned an undergraduate degree in physical education at Whitewater, as well as a master's degree in P.E. and coaching.
The hiring comes on the heels of the school firing Derek Hassell. Hassell's 33-year-old brother Jonathan Hassell was the subject of a criminal complaint stemming from an April 15 incident at a Carroll baseball game in Ripon. An umpire overseeing the game claimed Jonathan Hassell punched him in the face, fracturing a tooth and breaking his glasses. A source said Derek Hassell knew about the incident and refused to cooperate with an investigation.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Waukesha West's Elijah Fort named co-Player of the Year in Classic 8
- Girls swimming: Meitz, Blackshirts have golden touch
- Boys volleyball: Germantown rallies to down CMH at state tourney
- Social media story: Prep football playoffs: Waukesha West vs. Kimberly
- Football: West gives mighty Kimberly a push, but falls
- Girls swimming: Waukesha South/Mukwonago girls swimming and diving team going for third straight Division 1 state title
- Football: Waukesha West wears down Waterford in Level 3 playoff game
- WIAA sports: Catholic Memorial, Waukesha West play on in football playoffs
- WIAA playoffs: Catholic Memorial whips New Berlin West
- Catholic Memorial is healthy and ready to roll (2)