Carroll University and former Waukesha South standout L.J. Hyland set a new school record in the 400 meters (49.15 seconds) and advanced to the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Indoor Championships, where he ultimately took sixth place (49.29 seconds) and earned All-American Honors.
Top-eight finishers earned All-American status. He had the fourth fastest time in the final field.
The event was held in Grinnell, Iowa on March 9-10.
Hyland ranked well outside the top 50 as recently as two weeks before the finals but had ascended to 14th in the nation before the final heats.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Waukesha North strikes Gould in battle with South
- Football: Germantown completely stymied by Catholic Memorial
- Football: Nicolet back, but Waukesha South shines in opener
- Gridiron Guide: 2015 Waukesha West Wolverines football preview
- Gridiron Guide: 2015 Waukesha South Blackshirts football preview
- Gridiron Guide: 2015 Waukesha North Northstars football preview
- Gridiron Guide: 2015 Catholic Memorial Crusaders football preview
- Basketball: Sam Katula named new boys basketball coach at Waukesha North
- Baseball: Baseball teams eschewing hand signals for quarterback-style numbers game
- Baseball: Mukwonago tops Waukesha West when it counts