Carroll University and former Waukesha South standout L.J. Hyland set a new school record in the 400 meters (49.15 seconds) and advanced to the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Indoor Championships, where he ultimately took sixth place (49.29 seconds) and earned All-American Honors.
Top-eight finishers earned All-American status. He had the fourth fastest time in the final field.
The event was held in Grinnell, Iowa on March 9-10.
Hyland ranked well outside the top 50 as recently as two weeks before the finals but had ascended to 14th in the nation before the final heats.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Late turnovers lead Menasha past Waukesha West in Division 2 state championship
- Waukesha West takes on Menasha in Division 2 state final
- Fast start propels Catholic Memorial past Menomonee Falls in girls basketball opener
- Boys volleyball: Catholic Memorial gives way in state quarter
- Football: Waukesha West football headed to state
- Girls volleyball: Catholic Memorial girls volleyball team back atop the mountain
- Football: Catholic Memorial blanked by Wisco
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 3
- Boys volleyball: Catholic Memorial laughs last again
- Waukesha sports: Runners finish year at state meet