Carroll University and former Waukesha South standout L.J. Hyland set a new school record in the 400 meters (49.15 seconds) and advanced to the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Indoor Championships, where he ultimately took sixth place (49.29 seconds) and earned All-American Honors.
Top-eight finishers earned All-American status. He had the fourth fastest time in the final field.
The event was held in Grinnell, Iowa on March 9-10.
Hyland ranked well outside the top 50 as recently as two weeks before the finals but had ascended to 14th in the nation before the final heats.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Catholic Memorial leaves early struggles in rear view
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 1
- Football: Poll: Which area team will win a state football title?
- Football: Catholic Memorial's win over Waukesha West ensures crazy four-team tie for Classic 8 title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Girls tennis: Lindblom, Solberg lead Waukesha netters to state
- Football: Mukwonago football team lands huge victory over Catholic Memorial
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Waukesha sports: Memorial, Waukesha golfers just miss
- Football: Memorial ends Muskego's unbeaten run