Catholic Memorial duo cruises to Division 2 state doubles title
Mirsberger, Matoska win first crown in CMH tennis history
For the first time ever, Catholic Memorial landed an individual tennis state champion, and it wasn't particularly close.
Without dropping more than three games in any set during a rampage through the WIAA Division 2 tournament at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison over the weekend, senior Mike Mirsberger and sophomore Tommy Matoska finished the year 23-0, scoring a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Nick Williams and Nate Calawerts of Notre Dame in the title match.
The pair barely flinched, starting with a 6-0, 6-1 win over a Brookfield Academy duo, followed by a 6-0, 6-2 win over Plymouth and a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over University School to reach the final.
"It's pretty unreal," Matoska told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "We put a lot of practice in. Carl (Veenendaal), our coach, gave us wise words because he was a two-time state champion and he really coached us up well to help us win a state championship."
CMH singles player Christian Erickson lost his first-round match at state.
Brett Venzke of Waukesha South dropped his opening match in the singles competition in Division 1.
Nick Aho and Kyle Peterson of Waukesha North lost their opening match in doubles, as did Waukesha South doubles teams Matt Arvedson and Chandler Hall and Danny Perez and Al Tejada.
South will compete in the team state tennis competition at the same venue, beginning Friday, June 13.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Girls basketball: Third time will be the charm when Arrowhead and Waukesha West meet again
- Kelliher reaches 2,000-point mark to close career
- Girls basketball: Turnovers, second-quarter struggle hurt Mukwonago as Waukesha West advances
- Boys swimming: Swimmers finish year at state meet
- Girls basketball: Dani Rhodes looks to lead Waukesha West to new heights
- Wrestling: Two wrestlers apiece from South, CMH headed to state
- Waukesha roundup: Swimmers grab titles at league meet
- Boys hockey: Stemberger's stunning goal gives Lasers huge overtime win over Waukesha
- Girls basketball: Arrowhead, Waukesha West primed for major Classic 8 clash
- Boys swimming: Waukesha South/Catholic Memorial swimmers take third in relays meet