Catholic Memorial duo cruises to Division 2 state doubles title
Mirsberger, Matoska win first crown in CMH tennis history
For the first time ever, Catholic Memorial landed an individual tennis state champion, and it wasn't particularly close.
Without dropping more than three games in any set during a rampage through the WIAA Division 2 tournament at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison over the weekend, senior Mike Mirsberger and sophomore Tommy Matoska finished the year 23-0, scoring a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Nick Williams and Nate Calawerts of Notre Dame in the title match.
The pair barely flinched, starting with a 6-0, 6-1 win over a Brookfield Academy duo, followed by a 6-0, 6-2 win over Plymouth and a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over University School to reach the final.
"It's pretty unreal," Matoska told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "We put a lot of practice in. Carl (Veenendaal), our coach, gave us wise words because he was a two-time state champion and he really coached us up well to help us win a state championship."
CMH singles player Christian Erickson lost his first-round match at state.
Brett Venzke of Waukesha South dropped his opening match in the singles competition in Division 1.
Nick Aho and Kyle Peterson of Waukesha North lost their opening match in doubles, as did Waukesha South doubles teams Matt Arvedson and Chandler Hall and Danny Perez and Al Tejada.
South will compete in the team state tennis competition at the same venue, beginning Friday, June 13.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Hockey: Former Waukesha goalie Kupsky drafted by San Jose Sharks
- Baseball: Brotherly battle favors Waukesha West
- From the pressbox: New sport finds footing at Moor Downs in Waukesha
- Girls soccer: Catholic Memorial soccer once again the best in the state
- Boys golf: Crusaders settle for third this time around
- Girls soccer: Rolli finds balance to become star for CMH soccer
- WIAA postseason: Names to know for state track, tennis
- West Allis Hale boys track team earns two golds in relays at Greater Metro Conference Outdoor
- Track and field: Track and field sectionals await local athletes
- Track and field: Triple threat Pitchford aiming for state gold