Catholic Memorial duo cruises to Division 2 state doubles title
Mirsberger, Matoska win first crown in CMH tennis history
For the first time ever, Catholic Memorial landed an individual tennis state champion, and it wasn't particularly close.
Without dropping more than three games in any set during a rampage through the WIAA Division 2 tournament at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison over the weekend, senior Mike Mirsberger and sophomore Tommy Matoska finished the year 23-0, scoring a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Nick Williams and Nate Calawerts of Notre Dame in the title match.
The pair barely flinched, starting with a 6-0, 6-1 win over a Brookfield Academy duo, followed by a 6-0, 6-2 win over Plymouth and a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over University School to reach the final.
"It's pretty unreal," Matoska told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "We put a lot of practice in. Carl (Veenendaal), our coach, gave us wise words because he was a two-time state champion and he really coached us up well to help us win a state championship."
CMH singles player Christian Erickson lost his first-round match at state.
Brett Venzke of Waukesha South dropped his opening match in the singles competition in Division 1.
Nick Aho and Kyle Peterson of Waukesha North lost their opening match in doubles, as did Waukesha South doubles teams Matt Arvedson and Chandler Hall and Danny Perez and Al Tejada.
South will compete in the team state tennis competition at the same venue, beginning Friday, June 13.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Memorial thwarted by last-minute drive
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 12
- Girls volleyball: Catholic Memorial too stingy for Warhawks spikers
- Borton, Muskego football team run past Waukesha South
- Football: Waukesha West's Conor Blount too much for Mukwonago
- Football: Throwback Gromacki gears for major clash with Arrowhead
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Sept. 5
- Muskego runs wild on Waukesha South, putting a damper on Blackshirts' home opener
- Football: Waukesha North rallies behind Tromblay for thrilling win
- Football: Waukesha West dominates New Berlin West