Waukesha South basketball coach Billy Swartz, in charge of the boys program since 2003-04, resigned from his post Monday, effective immediately, with the intent to join the coaching staff at Carroll University under new head men's coach Paul Combs.
South athletics director Dan Domach confirmed that the job was posted immediately.
"I'll be meeting with our principal, who is out of town, next week and we'll come up with a plan of attack to get the interview process started," Domach said. "I hope to do some interviewing sometime in August and have a coach in place by the start of the fall season."
It's an accelerated timeline, and Domach admits it's optimistic. One of the biggest obstacles in the way is the lack of a teaching position available to any coach hired from outside the building.
"People have been asking if there is a teaching position, and as of today, there is not," Domach said.
Swartz will maintain his role as a physical education teacher. South finished 4-20 last year and 1-22 the year before after a 15-9 season in 2010-11 that ended with an appearance at the WIAA Division 1 sectional and competitive loss to Germantown.
South went 18-4 to win the Classic 8 Conference title in 2005-06, Swartz's best season and the last of three straight winning seasons to begin Swartz's tenure with the program. He finished 98-128 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Football: Catholic Memorial's win over Waukesha West ensures crazy four-team tie for Classic 8 title
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 9
- Mystery Photo Contest: Oct. 16
- Girls tennis: Lindblom, Solberg lead Waukesha netters to state
- Football: Mukwonago football team lands huge victory over Catholic Memorial
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 8
- Waukesha sports: Memorial, Waukesha golfers just miss
- Football: Memorial ends Muskego's unbeaten run
- Football: Muskego handed first loss of season in football by Catholic Memorial
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Week 7