Waukesha South basketball coach Billy Swartz, in charge of the boys program since 2003-04, resigned from his post Monday, effective immediately, with the intent to join the coaching staff at Carroll University under new head men's coach Paul Combs.
South athletics director Dan Domach confirmed that the job was posted immediately.
"I'll be meeting with our principal, who is out of town, next week and we'll come up with a plan of attack to get the interview process started," Domach said. "I hope to do some interviewing sometime in August and have a coach in place by the start of the fall season."
It's an accelerated timeline, and Domach admits it's optimistic. One of the biggest obstacles in the way is the lack of a teaching position available to any coach hired from outside the building.
"People have been asking if there is a teaching position, and as of today, there is not," Domach said.
Swartz will maintain his role as a physical education teacher. South finished 4-20 last year and 1-22 the year before after a 15-9 season in 2010-11 that ended with an appearance at the WIAA Division 1 sectional and competitive loss to Germantown.
South went 18-4 to win the Classic 8 Conference title in 2005-06, Swartz's best season and the last of three straight winning seasons to begin Swartz's tenure with the program. He finished 98-128 overall.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Track and field: Merriweather, Langer among leaders at Classic 8 indoor track and field meet
- Baseball: Waukesha West graduate Solberg hits his stride for UWM baseball team
- Boys basketball: Waukesha West's Cowser, North's Becker land on first team all-conference
- Girls basketball: Waukesha North's Jessica Kelliher given All-State nod
- Boys swimming: Fahey a believer after breakout season
- Girls basketball: Waukesha West girls basketball team finds alternatives, tops Sussex Hamilton
- Wrestling: Yatchak grabs podium spot for Waukesha South
- Boys basketball: Eisenhower dials long distance, downs CMH
- Boys basketball: CMH advances past New Berlin West
- Wrestling: South sends three onward to state wrestling meet