Waukesha West was on familiar ground over the weekend, playing in the WIAA Division 1 girls state soccer tournament at Uihlein Soccer Park in Milwaukee.
The Wolverines, qualifiers of the state tournament the past seven years, were admittedly overmatched this time around, losing 4-1 to No. 1-ranked Cedarburg in the state title game. West remains on the lookout for its first state championship.
Waukesha West briefly tied the game in the 21st minute when junior Katie Grall slammed one past Cedarburg senior goalkeeper Tori Riechers. Freshman defender Natalie Yass had the assist.
Cedarburg put on a clinic possessing the ball most of the match. Senior forward Lydia Koenig scored twice for the Bulldogs (18-3-1). Freshman defender Kylee Marks and senior midfielder Anny West had the other scores.
"They're clearly a better team and well-deserving of the state championship," Waukesha West head girls soccer coach David Zindler said. "It was women playing against girls today."
Waukesha West posted victories against Middleton in the state quarterfinal June 13, 2-1, and against De Pere in the state semifinal June 14, 3-1.
Senior Carly Richter had a goal against the Cardinals on an assist from Yass. Freshman Dani Rhodes had an unassisted goal.
Grall, Rhodes and Alex White had goals against De Pere. Grall had two assists. Sophomore midfielder Sabrina DuPaix also had an assist. Sophomore goalie Jessie Losiniecki had five saves against the Redbirds.
Zindler knows the Wolverines' program is in really good shape despite coming up short in big games at Uihlein Soccer Park.
"There's a lot of successful coaches and teams that never get here, so we're fortunate," Zindler said. "All you have to do is look at our roster, and it's obvious we're not going away anytime soon."
- Baseball: Waukesha West's Jarred Kelenic makes cut for Team USA U18 baseball team
- Girls soccer: Catholic Memorial girls soccer wins fifth straight state title
- Waukesha South tennis falls in state quarterfinal
- Boys basketball: Catholic Memorial turns to Serath to lead hoops program
- Lacrosse: Catholic Memorial claims boys D2 lacrosse title
- Girls soccer: Waukesha West dominates on its way to state tournament
- Boys golf: Catholic Memorial golfers apply the pressure, emerge with state-title gem
- Boys tennis: Catholic Memorial High School finishes tennis season with two state placewinners
- Track and field: Waukesha West's Emma Langer caps career atop podium as 4x800-meter relay strikes gold
- Track and field: Catholic Memorial lands three relay titles at state track and field