Waukesha West was on familiar ground over the weekend, playing in the WIAA Division 1 girls state soccer tournament at Uihlein Soccer Park in Milwaukee.
The Wolverines, qualifiers of the state tournament the past seven years, were admittedly overmatched this time around, losing 4-1 to No. 1-ranked Cedarburg in the state title game. West remains on the lookout for its first state championship.
Waukesha West briefly tied the game in the 21st minute when junior Katie Grall slammed one past Cedarburg senior goalkeeper Tori Riechers. Freshman defender Natalie Yass had the assist.
Cedarburg put on a clinic possessing the ball most of the match. Senior forward Lydia Koenig scored twice for the Bulldogs (18-3-1). Freshman defender Kylee Marks and senior midfielder Anny West had the other scores.
"They're clearly a better team and well-deserving of the state championship," Waukesha West head girls soccer coach David Zindler said. "It was women playing against girls today."
Waukesha West posted victories against Middleton in the state quarterfinal June 13, 2-1, and against De Pere in the state semifinal June 14, 3-1.
Senior Carly Richter had a goal against the Cardinals on an assist from Yass. Freshman Dani Rhodes had an unassisted goal.
Grall, Rhodes and Alex White had goals against De Pere. Grall had two assists. Sophomore midfielder Sabrina DuPaix also had an assist. Sophomore goalie Jessie Losiniecki had five saves against the Redbirds.
Zindler knows the Wolverines' program is in really good shape despite coming up short in big games at Uihlein Soccer Park.
"There's a lot of successful coaches and teams that never get here, so we're fortunate," Zindler said. "All you have to do is look at our roster, and it's obvious we're not going away anytime soon."
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- I played at state: Erin Monfre
- Football: Waukesha West's Schobert preparing for big showdown with Minnesota
- Football: Late turnovers lead Menasha past Waukesha West in Division 2 state championship
- Waukesha West takes on Menasha in Division 2 state final
- Fast start propels Catholic Memorial past Menomonee Falls in girls basketball opener
- Boys volleyball: Catholic Memorial gives way in state quarter
- Football: Waukesha West football headed to state
- Girls volleyball: Catholic Memorial girls volleyball team back atop the mountain
- Football: Catholic Memorial blanked by Wisco
- Football: Preps football photos of the week: Level 3