Carroll University was locked down for about an hour Monday night, Aug. 22, following a report of a possibly armed man peering into windows on a building on the northeast side of the school's main campus, but the concern ultimately proved to be unfounded.

According to the Waukesha Police Department, Carroll's public safety office reported the man around 8:30 p.m. He was walking around the Humphrey Memorial Chapel, 238 N. East Ave., and possibly armed, the caller said.

Officers found the man, later identified as a 15-year-old boy, lying on the grass behind the chapel and spoke with him briefly before he grabbed an unknown object and ran into the building. The school locked down as a result.

The Waukesha County Sheriff's Department sent officers and vehicles to the scene, and both departments coordinated with Carroll's public safety staff to contain the incident to the chapel, according to a news release.

Dispatchers were able to contact a professor and students inside the building and confirm the boy was unarmed and not a student.

A police report said the teenager later told officers he was laying on "foam blocks" looking at the stars when officers approached him. That's what he was carrying when he entered the building, the report said.

The boy was holding a stick while looking into some of the building's windows, the report said, and because the area where he was standing was dark, Carroll's public safety officers thought he might be carrying a rifle.

The lockdown was subsequently lifted and normal campus activity resumed. Police did not make any arrests or issue any citations.

“The safety of our campus community is of utmost priority and we are grateful for the fast response of our public safety officers and the Waukesha Police Department to resolve the incident that occurred last night quickly," said Carroll's Senior Public Relations Strategist Jess Owens.

The lockdown comes a little more than a month after the Waukesha Police Department conducted several hours of active shooter training at the school.

Lieutenant Kevin Rice said, "We would like to thank Carroll University and their public safety officers for working with (the department) in this incident, as well as preparing and training with us for incidents like these."

Read or Share this story: