Accident left one dead, two injured


A Waukesha man has been accused of homicide for his role in a fatal two-vehicle rollover crash that left a 76-year-old man dead and injured two of the victim's grandchildren.

Andrew Mussomeli was charged Jan. 11 in Waukesha County Circuit Court with homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle and two misdemeanor counts of reckless driving causing injury.

Online court records indicate that he's scheduled to make his initial court appearance on Jan. 23.

According to a criminal complaint, Mussomeli's car bumped the back of truck driven by Paul Parsons, the victim, when Mussomeli tried to pass another vehicle by using the paved shoulder on the north side of Highway 16 near Highway 83 in the town of Merton last May. Both cars were traveling in the right lane.

The collision reportedly caused Parsons to lose control of his truck, which careened across both lanes of westbound traffic on Highway 16, struck a guardrail on the south side of the highway and rolled over. Mussomeli's car also ended up hitting the guardrail, according to the complaint.

RELATED:Victim in fatal crash on Highway 16 identifed

Parsons was rushed to the hospital by Flight for Life following the crash and later pronounced dead. His grandsons –  at the time 6 and 8 years old – suffered some unspecified injuries, were treated at Children's Hospital, and medically cleared.

According to the Waukesha County Sheriff's Department and the complaint, Mussomeli suffered only minor injuries.

The complaint said that both children are still receiving chiropractic treatment for the injuries they sustained in the accident. That accounts for the reckless driving charges.

Witnesses told police in the complaint that they believed Mussomeli was speeding and driving aggressively at the time of the accident, traveling between 15 to 25 mph above the posted 65-mph speed limit and cutting off other drivers.

Investigators determined alcohol, drugs, and cellphone use were not factors in the crash, though the complaint noted that Parsons was on the phone with his daughter when the accident occurred.

The complaint does not specify why the charges were filed about eight months after the crash.

If convicted, Mussomeli could face up to 27 years behind bars and $29,000 in fines.

Read or Share this story: