WAUKESHA – Assistant professor of art at UW-Barron County Danica Oudeans has mounted an exhibit at the University of Wisconsin-Waukesha of work she created through a 2009 University of Wisconsin Colleges grant. It opened Sept. 2 and will remain on display in the Fine Arts Center Gallery, 1500 N. University Dr., Waukesha, through Oct. 14.
Gallery hours are Monday-Friday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. (or go to Room 010 in the same building), during special events or by appointment. Phone (262) 521-5445 for a private viewing.
“Connect/Disconnect” is a study in black, white and grayscale of the artist’s search for self-identity. The hand-made paper presents a tough yet permeable skin, which she punctures, sews, peels, cuts, scratches, covers, draws and paints on. Nevertheless, it persists. Pressure has made the surface interesting. She connects and disconnects objects as well as handwritten words, even her own name, in exploration of their correct placement. Unexpected materials create barriers and links between planes of texture, with some parts encased inside of a textured object and others floating above the pages.
A native of rural Wisconsin, Oudeans graduated from UW-Green Bay and earned an MFA in painting from Miami University, Oxford, Ohio.
Her “Connect/Disconnect” exhibit is touring the state through spring 2012, also to appear in Eau Claire, Baraboo, Marshfield and Sheboygan, and she is working on her next series. Her work has been exhibited nationally, most recently at the “on the Prairie” exhibition at the WARPhaus Gallery in Gainesville, Fla. Last year, Think Tank, an organization that promotes innovative teaching methods in the visual arts, recognized her with an Emerging Educator Award.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Community invited to holiday concert
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival
- Accelerated Sports Medicine and "Toys for Tots" Holiday Open House
- For all the golfers on your shopping list
- St. Mary School eighth grade students Delve Deeper Into Underwater Exploration at Discovery World
- Holiday concert will be performed by children’s orchestra
- Easter Seals SE Wisconsin to expand training, employment opportunities by creating accessible commercial kitchen
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Fun With Google Body Browser
- Ellingson signs with University of Iowa