Uncommon but serious, cancer of the head and neck can take away things most people take for granted, like speech, eating, and appearance. According to the American Cancer Society, this type of cancer affects more than 50,000 people nationwide every year.
To spread awareness of the disease and encourage people to get screened, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin clinical staff will provide free screenings on Thursday, April 26, from 4-6 pm at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. Registration is required; call (414) 805-3666.
“A 10-minute, painless screening could save your life,” said Bruce Campbell, MD, head and neck cancer specialist at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. “These cancers often don’t have obvious symptoms in their early stages, so that’s why screening is so important. As with most cancers, early detection is key to beating the disease.”
Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, neck, vocal cords, sinuses, tonsils and salivary glands. The cancer is highly curable if found early.
“Unexplained changes such as a lump or bump in the tongue, neck or lip, or changes in swallowing, speech or breathing can be signs of cancer,” Dr. Campbell said. “People who smoke are at highest risk, but not all head and neck cancer patients are smokers.”
Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center is located immediately south of the Specialty Clinics building, on Doyne Avenue between N. 87th and N. 92nd Streets. Free parking is available in the Cancer Center parking structure.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Beth Moore Comes to Milwaukee!
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce partners with Waukesha County Technical College for Human Resources for the Small Business roundtable
- Bryan Riesch Paralysis Team Challenge Event Friday, February 27th at Brookfield Elite Sports Club
- Carroll's Bryan Nagy named All-Midwest Conference
- The Oconomowoc Lake Club Appoints New Sous Chef
- Wine & Beer Tasting Event March 21, 2015 @ 6:00pm
- Girl Scout Cookie Drive Thru
- Prometheus Trio To Open Free Concert Series
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Women Matter News Report - Chiropractic and Infertility