Uncommon but serious, cancer of the head and neck can take away things most people take for granted, like speech, eating, and appearance. According to the American Cancer Society, this type of cancer affects more than 50,000 people nationwide every year.
To spread awareness of the disease and encourage people to get screened, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin clinical staff will provide free screenings on Thursday, April 26, from 4-6 pm at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. Registration is required; call (414) 805-3666.
“A 10-minute, painless screening could save your life,” said Bruce Campbell, MD, head and neck cancer specialist at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. “These cancers often don’t have obvious symptoms in their early stages, so that’s why screening is so important. As with most cancers, early detection is key to beating the disease.”
Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, neck, vocal cords, sinuses, tonsils and salivary glands. The cancer is highly curable if found early.
“Unexplained changes such as a lump or bump in the tongue, neck or lip, or changes in swallowing, speech or breathing can be signs of cancer,” Dr. Campbell said. “People who smoke are at highest risk, but not all head and neck cancer patients are smokers.”
Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center is located immediately south of the Specialty Clinics building, on Doyne Avenue between N. 87th and N. 92nd Streets. Free parking is available in the Cancer Center parking structure.
- MCW awarded $1.9 million for cardiovascular research in chronic kidney disease
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce sponsoring Waukesha regional job fair
- Liberty Dance Center to perform at WQYL/ Hunger Task Force Event
- Demlang Builders Welcomes Martha Ziegler as Selections Coordinator
- USO Motorcycle Ride
- Cardiovascular Center Golf Challenge puts spotlight on heart disease
- KIDS From Wisconsin to Rock New Berlin West Aug. 19
- Free Cyber-Seniors Documentary Screening
- Support Your Immune System With Essential Oils
- Richfield Art at the Mill