Uncommon but serious, cancer of the head and neck can take away things most people take for granted, like speech, eating, and appearance. According to the American Cancer Society, this type of cancer affects more than 50,000 people nationwide every year.
To spread awareness of the disease and encourage people to get screened, Froedtert & The Medical College of Wisconsin clinical staff will provide free screenings on Thursday, April 26, from 4-6 pm at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. Registration is required; call (414) 805-3666.
“A 10-minute, painless screening could save your life,” said Bruce Campbell, MD, head and neck cancer specialist at Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center. “These cancers often don’t have obvious symptoms in their early stages, so that’s why screening is so important. As with most cancers, early detection is key to beating the disease.”
Head and neck cancer includes cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, neck, vocal cords, sinuses, tonsils and salivary glands. The cancer is highly curable if found early.
“Unexplained changes such as a lump or bump in the tongue, neck or lip, or changes in swallowing, speech or breathing can be signs of cancer,” Dr. Campbell said. “People who smoke are at highest risk, but not all head and neck cancer patients are smokers.”
Froedtert & The Medical College Cancer Center is located immediately south of the Specialty Clinics building, on Doyne Avenue between N. 87th and N. 92nd Streets. Free parking is available in the Cancer Center parking structure.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues sponsorship of “Social Media Tools for Business” workshop for regional businesses
- LearningRx Hosts May 30 Open House
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues to add new members
- Daylily Society of SE WI/daylily sale
- Christ the King To Host Rummage Sale June 27
- Stan’s Fit For Your Feet Receives Wisconsin Family Business of the Year Award
- 1212 Bodyworks Grand Opening
- Liberty Dance Center Marches in Milwaukee Memorial Day Parade
- MCW researcher to study gene therapies for hemophilia
- Four New Summer Music Classes Offered at White House of Music, Waukesha