A new high school basketball tournament will give local student-athletes and their supporters much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend. In addition to two days of exciting games, the first annual Hank Raymonds Holiday Classic, November 23 and 24 at Pius XI High School in Milwaukee, will provide area basketball boosters the opportunity to honor the tournament’s namesake by contributing to the Hank Raymonds Family Scholarship.
Funds raised by the eight-team tournament – featuring Boston Celtics head coach Glenn “Doc” Rivers and his Marquette University Warrior teammates as the presenting sponsors – will provide scholarships to students who otherwise would be unable to attend Pius XI. Scholarships are awarded to students based on financial need, their record of academic achievement, character and community service.
Raymonds was a longtime Wauwatosa resident and the fourth-winningest coach at Marquette, with 126 wins as the men’s head basketball coach from 1977 to 1983. Raymonds adeptly assisted Al McGuire during the team’s NCAA championship run in the 1970s. Raymonds also served as the university’s athletic director and was responsible for elevating the women’s sports programs to Division I in 1985.
- Liberty Dance Center holds annual Spring Recital
- Mosquito Prevention a Must for Homeowners this Season
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Hosts Bed Bug Identification and Inspection Webinar
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on May 25, 2016
- Dads and International Biking Hit the Road in Waukesha
- Liberty Dance Center to hold annual Spring Recital
- New Summer Worship Schedule for Christ the King
- HAWS May Adoption Special
- Director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes of Health to receive honorary degree, speak at commencement May 20; four community leaders to receive honorary degrees
- MCW receives $6.8 million U.S. Army grant to research neck, spine and brain safety in the military