Altruism was already motivating Woodside Elementary School families to collect items for the Sussex Food Pantry, but two parents decided to add fun to the mix by having classrooms compete to bring in the most items.
When Kristyn Brandt and Jen Southern, Woodside parent volunteers in charge of the Scholastic Book Fair, realized reward bonuses from the fair were soon to expire, they came up with a plan to ramp up contributions. Teachers of the two classes that have the most items for the food collection will be awarded the Scholastic “bonus money” that will allow them to purchase books for their classrooms.
“We thought that the students would really get into it because who wouldn't want their teacher to win something?” Brandt said. “Plus, it would show the students that they can help others who are in need.”
The food drive will continue until Dec. 14, and community members are invited help support the cause by dropping off donations between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the Woodside office. The food pantry is most in need of peanut butter, one-dish meals like hamburger helper, spaghettios, canned fruit, boxed potatoes, rice, noodle sides and personal care products such as deodorant, shampoo and shower gel.
The winning teachers will be announced the week of Dec. 17. Woodside Elementary School is located at W236 N7465 Woodside Road, Sussex.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Stamp Show celebrates club's 125th year
- Volunteer Opportunities in Waukesha County
- Up and Coming Website for Teen Moms
- CTSI funds ovarian cancer research
- BEACHCOMBER SALON PLANS SEPTEMBER 11TH FUNDRAISER
- Youth Basketball events hosted by WI Shooters
- Resume and interview workshop classes in October
- Annual Candlelit Stroll Offers a Time and Place to Share, Grieve, and Celebrate Life
- Local Job Fair Held to Hire Seasonal Associates for BuySeasons, Inc.
- 2014 Holiday Folk Fair International to Host 5k Run/Walk