Wales church to host singing festival
Jerusalem Presbyterian Church of Wales will host a Christmas Gymanfa Ganu, a traditional Welsh singing festival, on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 2:30 p.m. Organized by the Welsh Gymanfa Ganu Association of Wisconsin, the festival is the final event in a year-long celebration of the 100th anniversary of the construction of Jerusalem Presbyterian Church.
“A Gymanfa Ganu is a festival of sacred songs sung in four-part harmony,” explains Becky Gapinski, a member of Jerusalem Presbyterian Church and chairperson of the church’s Century Celebration. The tradition of directed congregational hymn singing dates back to about the 12th century in the country of Wales and is tied to the spiritual life of the Welsh people.
“People who settled the Village of Wales and who founded our church brought the tradition with them when they immigrated to the United States,” Gapinski says.
The Christmas Gymanfa Ganu on Nov. 10 will feature Christmas and traditional hymns, some sung in the native Welsh language and others in English. The public is invited to attend, sing and join in refreshments afterwards.
Jerusalem Presbyterian Church is located at 207 Main Street in Wales. For more information, call the church at 262-968-3408 or visit www.wggaw.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa ESPRIT POMS (Seniors) and ESPRIT POMS (Juniors) Earn First Place and Second Places Honors at Badger State Pom Competition in Madison, WI
- FREE Parent/Child YOGA at Authentic Birth Center • Wellness Collective
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Edward Zapencki Continued to Collect Money From Businesses for Fun Maps He Didn’t Deliver
- Nutcracker Magic Comes Alive in Lake Country
- WCTC-ECE Practicum III partners with Safe Babies Healthy Families
- Hamilton junior varsity cheerleaders sponsor clinic
- Community invited to holiday concert
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival