77% of America's children live in families shaped by loss from death, divorce, separation, and abandonment.
Children who experience trauma and grief are at an increased risk for mental health problems, impaired educational attainment, suicide, poor physical health.
Fortunately, in Waukesha County, our children have a place to go. Healing Hearts of Waukesha County provides a peer-to-peer grief support program for children, teens and adults. Healing Hearts serves participants who are grieving the loss of loved ones due to death, divorce, abandonment, separation, military deployment, incarceration or immigration. Meeting in a confidential setting, participants are guided by trained volunteers to work through the grieving process with others experiencing similar losses. The goals of the program are to break the isolation of grief; honor the loss and the feelings associated with loss; develop coping skills with the support of peers to deal with challenges associated with loss; integrate the loss into one’s life and foster a sense of hope. The program is free to all participants., and free childcare is offered for children younger than age 4.
The Spring session begins Monday, February 17 and continues through Monday, May 12, 2014. Meetings run from 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. and are held at 121 Wisconsin Avenue in Waukesha.
If you know of a family who could benefit from this program, please contact Healing Hearts at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 262-751-0874 or visit our website at www.healingheartsofwaukeshaco.org for more information.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- How light therapy heals wounds
- Local Businesses in Three Communities Band Together to Fight Hunger, Support New Berlin Food Pantry
- Our TreASures … Our Heart
- Cardiovascular and cancer researcher elected Fellow of the American Heart Association
- BodyLabUSA Holistic Healing & Psychic Fair, Coming to You!
- Women in Science series honors MCW researchers
- Magee Pancake Breakfast & Community Fair
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education Classes Offered Nov 10-16, 2014
- Photos to Benefit Food Pantry
- Milwaukee Festival Brass Concert: