77% of America's children live in families shaped by loss from death, divorce, separation, and abandonment.
Children who experience trauma and grief are at an increased risk for mental health problems, impaired educational attainment, suicide, poor physical health.
Fortunately, in Waukesha County, our children have a place to go. Healing Hearts of Waukesha County provides a peer-to-peer grief support program for children, teens and adults. Healing Hearts serves participants who are grieving the loss of loved ones due to death, divorce, abandonment, separation, military deployment, incarceration or immigration. Meeting in a confidential setting, participants are guided by trained volunteers to work through the grieving process with others experiencing similar losses. The goals of the program are to break the isolation of grief; honor the loss and the feelings associated with loss; develop coping skills with the support of peers to deal with challenges associated with loss; integrate the loss into one’s life and foster a sense of hope. The program is free to all participants., and free childcare is offered for children younger than age 4.
The Spring session begins Monday, February 17 and continues through Monday, May 12, 2014. Meetings run from 6:00 P.M. to 7:30 P.M. and are held at 121 Wisconsin Avenue in Waukesha.
If you know of a family who could benefit from this program, please contact Healing Hearts at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 262-751-0874 or visit our website at www.healingheartsofwaukeshaco.org for more information.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- A Delicious Gift of Coffee Sent to Our Local Troops Overseas
- Waukesha Monkey Joe's Hosts Food Drive in October
- Ixonia Bank Selects Safe Babies Healthy Families for Casual for a Cause
- The 6th Annual Southeast WI Festival of Books Announces Keynote Speakers
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: What Exactly Are the B Complex Vitamins?
- Meet Your New Employer at the Workforce Development Center Autumn Recruitment Fair
- Oct. 2-3, 64th Fall WADA Antiques Show
- Men Behind the Mission recognizes Waukesha County men empowering girls and women
- Corporate Chair Massage Program - It's Essential!
- Why should everyone get massages regularly?