Looking to cure your cabin fever? Come out and explore all the wonders of winter at night. Retzer Nature Center, S14 W28167 Madison Street in Waukesha, will hold its annual Wild Winter Night from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 1.
Enjoy guided winter night hikes throughout the evening, free snowshoe rentals and an informal sing-along by a warm campfire with s’mores and hot cocoa. There will be indoor activities like the Guess the Scat – candy game, Design a Frame or make a Recycled Bird Feeder. Explore the winter sky through an outdoor observation with telescopes, as well as an indoor Planetarium program entitled “Journey to the Stars”.
The guided Owl Prowl hikes are scheduled for 6:15 and 8:15 p.m. Listen closely, will you hear or see an owl? Learn about the owl and other nocturnal animals and just maybe you will find an owl pellet! Join in on the Winter Tracking Presentation where you can create an animal track booklet at 6:45 or 7:30 p.m.
Please note planetarium shows are limited to 90 people per show, and are on a first-come, first-served basis. Tickets will be distributed beginning at 6:00 p.m. Show times are every half-hour starting at 6:30, last show is 8:30 p.m.
This event is held no matter what the weather, so please dress accordingly. There are a limited amount of snowshoes available so there may be a waiting time. A fee of $2.00 per person is payable at the door. No pre-registration is required.
The Waukesha County Park System is a natural resource based park system that demonstrates stewardship while providing recreational and educational opportunities. For more information, visit our web site at www.waukeshacountyparks.com, follow us on twitter @WaukeshaCoParks, or like Retzer Nature Center on Facebook.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Allume Architects celebrates move to Elm Grove with ribbon-cutting and open house
- Waukesha County Genealogical Society to meet on December 2, 2015
- Local Chiropractors Disucss: The Role of Antioxidants in Good Health
- Asset Allocation: A Step to Balancing Your Portfolio
- Attitude of Gratitude
- MCW, Dr. Doug Evans and Elizabeth Krzywda, win BizTimes 2015 Health Care Hero Awards
- ‘Black Friday’ Vehicle Purchase at Russ Darrow Includes Packer Player Collector Canvas
- Cecilia J. Hillard, PhD, Named Associate Dean for Research at MCW
- Hilarious and Heartwarming "Holidays At My House" One-Woman Show!
- Natural Back Pain Relief