Jacob Sharp is not your ordinary 10-year-old boy. Not only does this Cub Scout give his extra birthday money to help other kids in need, but on Friday, February 28, Jacob and his family arrived at the Medical College of Wisconsin Cancer Center with a check to support cancer research.
“To remember my grandpa, I wanted to do something to make a difference and help other people facing cancer,” said Jacob.
When asked how he raised the money for his gift to the Cancer Center, Jacob replied, “We worked really hard selling raffle tickets, and this year we sold over $330. Last year it was only $80.”
Jacob decided to donate the raffle proceeds to the Cancer Center in memory of his grandfather, who lost his three-year battle with cancer in 2013, and to recognize the father of a classmate and fellow member of Cub Scout Pack 592 out of St. Matthias Parish, who is now in remission from cancer. Jacob’s dad and den leader Jim Sharp, called the Cancer Center and arranged for Jacob to make the donation.
Ming You, MD, PhD, the director of the MCW Cancer Center, encouraged Jacob’s dedication to cancer research.
“This is an amazing thing you’ve done. Keep up the hard work! The next time we see Jacob he may be working at MCW as a famous cancer researcher, or maybe even winning the Nobel Prize,” said Dr. You.
Dr. You met with Jacob, his grandmother, parents, siblings, and other family members to accept the gift and thank Jacob for his care and commitment.
We extend a warm thank you to Jacob, the Sharp Family, and St. Matthias Cub Scout Pack 592 for your support of the MCW Cancer Center and cancer research.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- First Stage Announces Free Class Day at the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts!
- Kevin Pasqua Becomes Board Vice President for Brain Injury Alliance of Wisconsin
- Brookfield native releases more Wisconsin themed comedy videos online
- Waukesha Lacrosse Club - Register NOW for Spring 2016 Season
- Local Chiropractors Discuss: Shortening the Road to Recovery After an Automobile Injury: Your Chiropractor Can Help
- The Rookie Cigar Smoker: Here’s How NOT to Look Like One
- Wisconsin Kitchen Mart Suggests Storage Ideas for the Kitchen
- The Woodworker's Gym, a Public-access Woodworking Shop Open in Brookfield
- Daddy Daughter Date Night at Sky Zone February 11
- Liberty Dance Center- Prelude to Season Showcase