Types Of Allergies
It’s estimated that 60 million Americans suffer from some type of allergy. That’s 1 out of 4. It’s the 5th highest chronic disease in America and the 3rd most common chronic disease in children. Many people suffer from more than one allergy type.
Pollen from trees, grass and weeds are in the indoor/outdoor allergy category. Other common indoor/outdoor allergy triggers are mold spores, dust mites, and cat, dog and rodent dander. About 75% of people with allergies have indoor/outdoor allergies. The most common pet allergy is cat dander.
Skin allergies are another common allergy. The most common causes of skin allergies are plants like poison oak, ivy and sumac. Allergic reactions can also be caused by skin contact with latex, cockroachs and dust mites, and even some foods. Skin allergies are the main allergy for about 7% of allergy sufferers.
Food & Drug Allergies
While we hear a lot about food and drug allergies, they’re the primary allergy of only about 6% of allergy sufferers. Food allergies are more common in children. Peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, soy, fish and shellfish are responsible for 90% of all food allergies. Food allergies claim over 200 lives yearly.
When it comes to common drug allergies, penicillin is the winner. Almost 400 Americans die every year from allergies to penicillin.
Some people have allergies in a single category and others suffer from allergies in multiple categories. If you are an allergy sufferer, discuss your triggers and symptoms with your chiropractor. Some types of allergies respond remarkably well to chiropractic care.
For more information contact:
Dr’s Brad and Mandy Pearce
Pewaukee Family Chiropractic
1001 Cecelia Drive Pewaukee, WI 53072
- School District of New Berlin Expands Post-Secondary Options
- Lubar Supply Chain Team Ranks Third in World Competition
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Named One of Pest Control Technology’s Top 100 Pest Management Firms in the U.S.
- Hoops for Awareness
- SDNB Includes 'College and Career Ready Dispositions in Grading, Reporting
- Art Service Award given to the Waukesha Community Arts Project by Waukesha Creative Arts League
- It's Raining Kittens at HAWS
- Bike Safety and Maintenance Program at Brookfield Public Library
- Learn about Native American Culture at the Brookfield Public LIbrary
- Waukesha resident earns highest Girl Scout honor with senior citizen art therapy project