Dr. Barbara Silver - Thorn and Chris Prange - Morgan will be part of "Pushing the Limits: Return to Action with STEM" program on Tuesday, May 6 from 6pm - 7pm at the Eagle Municipal Building, 820 E. Main Street, Eagle, WI 53119. Presented by the Alice Baker Memorial Public Library in Eagle. Pushing the Limits is a reading, viewing, and discussion program for adults in communities served by rural libraries, made possible by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
Dr. Silver-Thorn received her bachelor's degree in chemical engineering from Northwestern University. She also completed a master's degree in chemical & biomedical engineering at Arizona State University. She then returned to Chicago to complete a doctoral degree in biomedical engineering at Northwestern University, working in the Prosthetics Research Laboratory at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. She has been on the biomedical engineering faculty at Marquette University since 1992, conducting prosthetic and orthotic research with colleagues at the VAMC, the Medical College of Wisconsin, and numerous local prosthetists & orthotists. Her research has been supported by the Whitaker Foundation, the VA, the National Science Foundation, as well as several prosthetic companies.
Chris Prange-Morgan is a mother of two, wife, human services professional, athlete, swim instructor, survivor and recent amputee, who has a passion for helping others facing physical challenges embrace their passion for life.
After a 2 ½ year recovery from a climbing accident resulting in traumatic back, pelvic, and leg fractures, Chris decided to amputate her lower leg to regain her quality-of-life. While recovering, Chris helped to initiate a support program for survivors of trauma at Froedtert Hospital, and as a recent amputee, is working to develop an adaptive climbing and outdoor sport program for others with physical disabilities in the greater Milwaukee and Waukesha County areas. Chris has Master’s degrees in Social Work and Religious Studies, and is certified in pastoral counseling. She also teaches swim lessons for the Tri-County YMCA, and has published several articles relating to her experience as a survivor of trauma. Chris blogs at: http://requiemforalimb.blogspot.com/
- Color Craze at the Wauwatosa Library
- Performer Steve Girman at the Wauwatosa Public Library
- Jim and Tom Palzewicz of ActionCOACH of Elm Grove win Bravo! Entrepreneur award
- SDNB Expands Recognition Programs, Thanks Community for Support
- Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin and Easter Seals Southeast Wisconsin Celebrate Project SEARCH Completion Ceremony for Adults With Disabilities
- IHN Names Lenzner VP of Clinical Integration
- School District of New Berlin Expands Post-Secondary Options
- Lubar Supply Chain Team Ranks Third in World Competition
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Named One of Pest Control Technology’s Top 100 Pest Management Firms in the U.S.
- Hoops for Awareness