Rally your friends, family and colleagues to cheer on more than 800 athletes who will travel across Wisconsin to go for the gold at the Special Olympics Wisconsin (SOWI) State Outdoor Sports Tournament hosted in Waukesha on Friday, August 1 through Sunday, August 3. Bocce and tennis competitions will take place at Carroll University, golf will tee off at the Moor Downs Golf Course, and softball competitions will be hosted at both Saratoga Softball Complex and Kilgour Field at Carroll University.
The event will kick off Friday evening with a Parade of Athletes and Opening Ceremony at 7:00 p.m. at Schneider Stadium. Following the ceremony, athletes competing at the tournament will play in a bocce showcase. Bocce is the tournaments largest sport with more than 96 teams competing. Golf, tennis, bocce and softball competitions will take place on Saturday and final competitions in golf and softball wrap up on Sunday.
In addition to the competitions during the weekend, volunteer health professionals will also offer dental, foot, blood pressure and bone mineral density screenings, along with nutritional advice to the athletes as part of the Health Promotions, Special Smiles and Fit Feet programs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in Stackner Ballroom (Rm. 214) at the Carroll University Campus Center on Saturday, August 2.
The partnership with the surrounding community is expected to bring approximately 250 coaches, dozens of medical professionals and hundreds of spectators to the area over the weekend.
SOWI needs more than 300 volunteers to help escort athletes, present awards, score events, assist with food services, and more! All volunteers receive a free T-shirt and those working a full day will receive a complimentary lunch. Various shifts are available. The tournament is free and the public is invited to cheer athletes on from the stands. For details, call (800) 552-1324 or visit SpecialOlympicsWisconsin.org.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Liberty Dance Center to perform at Waukesha County Fair
- Waukesha Civic Band 72nd Season Plays On
- Independence Day Activities in Waukesha
- Greater Brookfield Chamber of Commerce announces monthly Tech Trends series of workshops on IT, internet safety, and commonly-used software
- Dr. Nicole Knapp, D.C. launches blog to educate general public about health conditions that can affect the quality of their life
- R.A. Smith National Celebrates Culmination of June Nature Challenge
- National "I Forgot Day"
- Rotary Club’s watermelon slices quench thirst, benefit community
- DYPC Junior & Senior Company Auditions
- Summer Travel Tips, or “How to Make Your Dollar Travel Further”