Good Friend, Inc. — a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to creating
autism awareness, teaching acceptance of differences, and fostering empathy for children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) among their typically-developing peers, has partnered with area muralist Chris Vincent to create a new historical mural in downtown Waukesha on the exterior wall of Discount Liquor at 919 N. Barstow Street.
For its part in the Waukesha Historical Mural Collaborative Project, Good Friend is looking
for a child with special education needs representative from each of the School District of Waukesha’s 17 elementary schools. These students, many of whom have ASD, are each paired with a typically-developing peer who supports them naturally throughout their school day to help paint a leaf on the bottom border of the mural. With the re-purposing of Randall and Saratoga schools, the closing of Pleasant Hill to merge will Hillcrest and the suggestion of closing White Rock, it is very fitting to have all of these schools contribute to this historic mural in this year.
According to Denise Schamens (Brookfield), Good Friend’s co-founder who will oversee
this team of junior artists, the Project still needs to identify student pairs from Blair, Hadfield, Prairie, Randall, Rose Glen, and Saratoga. For more information on joining the junior artist team, contact Schamens by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 262-391-1369.
Vincent (Hartland) of Murals By Design, came up with the idea of a 20-foot by 50-foot mr
ral to make an artistic improvement to the downtown area and reflect Waukesha’s history. The total cost of this project, scheduled to begin next month, is estimated to be $13,300 — and less than half of that has been raised to date. Individual and business contributions are currently being accepted. You can donate directly to the Waukesha Historical Mural Collaborative Project by mailing checks payable to Waukesha Historical Mural Project , c/o Waukesha State Bank, 151 E. St. Paul Ave., PO Box 648, Waukesha, WI 53187-0648. Donations will also be accepted directly at any Waukesha State Bank location. (Any contribution over $100 will be acknowledged on the mural upon request.)
For more information about the Mural Project, visit www.waukeshamural.com. For more
information regarding Good Friend’s services for students and professionals, visit
www.goodfriendinc.com or call 414-510-0385.
- Wil-Kil Pest Control Named One of Pest Control Technology’s Top 100 Pest Management Firms in the U.S.
- Hoops for Awareness
- SDNB Includes 'College and Career Ready Dispositions in Grading, Reporting
- Art Service Award given to the Waukesha Community Arts Project by Waukesha Creative Arts League
- It's Raining Kittens at HAWS
- Bike Safety and Maintenance Program at Brookfield Public Library
- Learn about Native American Culture at the Brookfield Public LIbrary
- Waukesha resident earns highest Girl Scout honor with senior citizen art therapy project
- Waukesha resident earns highest Girl Scout honor with Old World Wisconsin trail restoration project
- Swimming Pool Services Honored as a Customer Service Leader in Residential Construction