Good Friend, Inc. — a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to creating
autism awareness, teaching acceptance of differences, and fostering empathy for children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) among their typically-developing peers, has partnered with area muralist Chris Vincent to create a new historical mural in downtown Waukesha on the exterior wall of Discount Liquor at 919 N. Barstow Street.
For its part in the Waukesha Historical Mural Collaborative Project, Good Friend is looking
for a child with special education needs representative from each of the School District of Waukesha’s 17 elementary schools. These students, many of whom have ASD, are each paired with a typically-developing peer who supports them naturally throughout their school day to help paint a leaf on the bottom border of the mural. With the re-purposing of Randall and Saratoga schools, the closing of Pleasant Hill to merge will Hillcrest and the suggestion of closing White Rock, it is very fitting to have all of these schools contribute to this historic mural in this year.
According to Denise Schamens (Brookfield), Good Friend’s co-founder who will oversee
this team of junior artists, the Project still needs to identify student pairs from Blair, Hadfield, Prairie, Randall, Rose Glen, and Saratoga. For more information on joining the junior artist team, contact Schamens by email email@example.com or phone 262-391-1369.
Vincent (Hartland) of Murals By Design, came up with the idea of a 20-foot by 50-foot mr
ral to make an artistic improvement to the downtown area and reflect Waukesha’s history. The total cost of this project, scheduled to begin next month, is estimated to be $13,300 — and less than half of that has been raised to date. Individual and business contributions are currently being accepted. You can donate directly to the Waukesha Historical Mural Collaborative Project by mailing checks payable to Waukesha Historical Mural Project , c/o Waukesha State Bank, 151 E. St. Paul Ave., PO Box 648, Waukesha, WI 53187-0648. Donations will also be accepted directly at any Waukesha State Bank location. (Any contribution over $100 will be acknowledged on the mural upon request.)
For more information about the Mural Project, visit www.waukeshamural.com. For more
information regarding Good Friend’s services for students and professionals, visit
www.goodfriendinc.com or call 414-510-0385.
Your link to the biggest stories in the suburbs delivered Thursday mornings.
Enter your e-mail address above and click "Sign Up Now!" to begin receiving your e-mail newsletter Get the Newsletter!
- Wauwatosa ESPRIT POMS (Seniors) and ESPRIT POMS (Juniors) Earn First Place and Second Places Honors at Badger State Pom Competition in Madison, WI
- FREE Parent/Child YOGA at Authentic Birth Center • Wellness Collective
- Encourage your kids to become involved in extracurriculars
- Edward Zapencki Continued to Collect Money From Businesses for Fun Maps He Didn’t Deliver
- Nutcracker Magic Comes Alive in Lake Country
- WCTC-ECE Practicum III partners with Safe Babies Healthy Families
- Hamilton junior varsity cheerleaders sponsor clinic
- Community invited to holiday concert
- Hamilton National Honor Society hosts food drive
- Hamilton students selected for Honors Band Festival