James Augustine, Milwaukee Area Technical College instructor of funeral service and resident of the Town of Waukesha, has been chosen the 2009-2010 “Outstanding Educator” by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE). He will receive his award at a luncheon at the organization’s annual conference April 16 in San Diego.
ABFSE is the sole accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in the field of funeral and mortuary science. The organization establishes funeral service education curriculum requirements and conducts site visits to evaluate each funeral service program in the U.S. every seven years. Located at the West Allis Campus, MATC has the only funeral service program in Wisconsin.
Augustine has been a full-time funeral service instructor at the college for 34-1/2 years. He has served on the ABFSE for 26 years, and has held every office in the organization, including secretary, vice chairman and treasurer. When the board changed its structure in 2002, he became its first president. Augustine served as the chair of the curriculum committee for 14 years, and is now on the accreditation committee.
He has been a board member and treasurer of the University of Mortuary Science Education Association for 26 years and also served as a representative to the board of the International Conference of Funeral Service Examining Boards.
For more information on MATC’s Funeral Service program, visit
The largest technical college in the state, Milwaukee Area Technical College is a key driver of the economy in southeastern Wisconsin. MATC offers 200 degrees, diplomas, certificates and apprenticeships, plus nearly 400 transfer options leading to bachelor’s degrees. A large pre-college program enables people to complete high school and prepare for higher learning. The Office of Corporate Learning provides customized training to incumbent workers. Approximately 48,000 students per year attend the college’s four campuses, numerous evening centers and community-based sites, or learn online. Overwhelmingly, MATC graduates build careers and businesses right here at home. Visit www.matc.edu.
- 2015 Southeast Wisconsin Festival of Books Announces Century Fence Essay Contest Winners
- 5th Annual STEM for Girls/STEM para Chicas on May 7th at Waukesha STEM Saratoga Campus
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education HELPING STUDENTS PREPARE FOR NEW CAREERS
- Concordia's Waukesha Center to Host Career Night
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education Courses for January 2015
- Milwaukee Montessori School’s Robotics Team Wins Awards
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education Courses and Travel Opportunities for December 2014
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education Classes Offered Nov 17-23
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education Classes Offered Nov 3-9, 2014
- UW-Waukesha Continuing Education Classes Offered Oct. 20-Nov. 20, 2014